Triple M corner no.70

By October 24, 2017Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

The MG Midget Sportsman’s Coupe was launched in 1929 and provided the template for later MG Coupe versions which were to arrive on the scene from late 1931 onward. RX 6257 is seen here exiting Church Loft in West Wycombe, Bucks before joining the main A40 London to Oxford Road. Apart from the traffic and parked cars, this stretch of the A40 has changed little in the intervening 87 years.

Church Loft was built in the 15th century. It was here that pilgrims stayed as guests of the church. Since then it has been the village jail, stocks, and in more recent years as a venue for events. The building is timber-framed, with later brick in-fill  To the left-hand side is an arch to Church Lane which contains the Village lock-up and whipping post. The building has a bell turret, and a particularly fine clock (dated 1668) overhanging the street. The recently restored clock’s mechanism remains within the Church Loft and now chimes once again. The clock was restored in 2003.  (Summary, courtesy West Wycombe village website.)